Coffee

Why You Should Buy Coffee from Myanmar 

  • The highlands of Myanmar are 1,300 metres above sea level, with a subtropical climate. Coffee cherries develop in the rainy season and harvesting and processing takes place in the dry season. These are ideal conditions for producing high-quality coffee. • Independent cupping results show that most samples of Myanmar coffee exceed 85 points, as given by recognised tasters, which classifies the coffee as specialty.

 

  • Myanmar’s coffee sector is experiencing a revival after years of isolation. This offers thousands of poor farmers the opportunity to earn a living and secure a future for their families. The majority of Myanmar coffee producers are smallholder famers, women, and young people.

 

  • Myanmar aspires to distinguish itself among Asian coffee producers: small in volume but maintaining high quality standards.

 

Myanmar Coffee Export Sector

Among many coffee producing countries, Myanmar has ideal natural conditions, which are key for growing high-grade Arabica coffee: high altitudes and cool to moderate temperatures. Myanmar premium and specialty coffee is recognised at international coffee cupping competitions for its rich and well-balanced flavour.

 

Coffee production in Myanmar increases every year. Myanmar currently produces 7,000 tonnes of coffee on 20,000 ha. Premium and specialty coffee account for around 1,000 tonnes.

 

Arabica coffee represents 80% of the production in the highlands in the north. The remaining 20% is Robusta coffee, grown in lowlands in the south. In 2017, Myanmar exported 860 tonnes of coffee, worth EUR 1.2 million.

 

Download Full Report on Myanmar Coffee Export Capability